Saturday 20 April 2013

Our Very Hungry Caterpillars - Part I


Earlier this week our Painted Lady caterpillars arrived from Insect Lore Europe. I’ve been so excited about them arriving! In our house we love The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle and I thought it would be a lovely idea to expand on the theme and grow our own caterpillars.

With our little man being only One I wasn’t sure how much he would get out of it but as soon as he saw the caterpillars he was watching them with awe. I love seeing his face when he sees something for the first time. It makes you stop and watch the world through his eyes, as if you are seeing it for the first time too. It makes it all magical!


The caterpillars are a great opportunity for him to gain a valuable first hand experience of nature and although he might not understand the whole life cycle process yet, he will still get the opportunity to watch the caterpillars grow nice and fat and become butterflies, just like the Very Hungry Caterpillar does in the book. I'm really looking forward to seeing his little face when we release the butterflies.


This week we were also lucky enough to win a £100 National Garden Gift Voucher from netmums for a photo I entered into one of their competitions. (winning pic below). So running with the caterpillar theme I’ve decided to spend it on improving our garden for butterflies. That way we can hunt for wild caterpillars and butterflies too. I can't wait!!




1 comment:

  1. Wow, I definitely wouldn't have thought of doing this with such a young child, but maybe Ethan would enjoy it too! We'll have to give it a try, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...